Carmelina Spicy Chickpea and Crab Wontons
Wonton wrappers (square)
Large egg, beaten
1, 14.28 ounce can
Carmelina Brands® Italian Ceci (Garbanzos), rinsed and drained
Nori (Seaweed), shredded and soaked
Spicy Calabrian chili peppers, chopped
Fresh garlic, chopped
Fresh crab meat
Soy-Ginger Dipping Sauce:
Rice wine vinegar
Garlic cloves, minced
Fresh ginger, minced
- Lay wonton wrappers flat across 2 sheet pans. Brush wonton wrappers with egg.
- For the Filling: Using a food processor with blade attachment, combine Carmelina Brands® Italian Ceci (Garbanzos), nori, scallions, spicy Calabrian chili peppers, garlic, crab meat, 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, salt and pepper. Blend for a minute. Scrape sides of bowl with a rubber spatula, and blend for another minute.
- To Assemble: Spoon Spicy Crab and Chickpea filling into a pastry bag, or using a spoon, place 3/4 teaspoon of filling into the middle of each wonton wrapper. Using your hands, fold the wonton wrapper in half to form a triangle, pressing down firmly to seal. Next, bring two points of the triangle forward together (like a hug) and press firmly together to seal. Place on sheet pan and repeat until all wontons are folded.
- To Cook: In a medium pot, heat 3 inches of oil to 375°F. Add wontons to the pot 6 to 8 at a time being careful not to overcrowd them, and fry 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove wontons using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat process with remaining wontons until all are cooked. Set aside and keep warm.
- Soy-Ginger Dipping Sauce: Using a small mixing bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Serve Spicy Chickpea and Crab Wontons warm with Soy-Ginger Dipping Sauce on the side. Mangia bene and enjoy!
Tip: Filling makes great pot-stickers as well. Serve with a trio of sauces: Soy Ginger, Sweet Chili Oil, and Spicy Mustard
Recipe created by Corporate Executive Chef Giacomo Paganoon behalf of Mangia, Inc. ™