Steak Panini with Herbed Tomato and Mushroom Compote
Extra virgin olive oil, divided
Black pepper, divided
Fresh thyme, chopped, divided
2, 14.28 oz. cans
Carmelina ‘e… San Marzano® Italian Cherry Tomatoes, drained
Portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
Red onion, thinly sliced
Kosher salt, divided
Provolone cheese, slices
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a large plate, marinate skirt steak with 2 tablespoons of oil, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Using a non-stick sheet pan, gently mix together the Carmelina ‘e…San Marzano® Italian Cherry Tomatoes (Pomodorini), Portobello mushrooms, red onion, remaining olive oil, balsamic glaze, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Roast mixture in a pre-heated 375°F oven for 25 minutes, until soft and starting to brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Remove steak from refrigerator, and season with remaining salt. On a pre-heated grill or grill pan, cook steak until medium; about 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove steak from grill and let it rest on a platter for a few minutes before slicing into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- To assemble Paninis, spread Dijon mustard on 1 slice of bread, and horseradish on the other. Top bread with Herbed Tomato and Mushroom Compote, sliced steak, and 2 slices of provolone cheese. Repeat.
- Using a Panini Press, or grill pan, press the sandwich together until the cheese melts and bread is toasted; about 2-3 minutes. If using a grill-pan, cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Cut the Steak Panini with Herbed Tomato and Mushroom Compote in half, and serve immediately. Buon Appetito!
* Recipe created by Chef Giacomo Pagano on behalf of Mangia, Inc. ™