Mediterranean Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Large Portobello mushrooms, washed, stemmed, inside gills removed
Extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 + 1/8 teaspoon
Kosher salt, divided
1/2 + 1/8 teaspoon
Black pepper, divided
Sweet onion, chopped
Garlic cloves, chopped, divided
1, 28 oz. can
Carmelina ‘e…San Marzano® Italian Whole Peeled Tomatoes in Puree
Fresh basil, chiffonade
12 ounces (1 pound fresh)
Frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and water removed
1, 14.28 oz. can
Carmelina Brands® Italian Lentils, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place mushrooms on a sheet pan, and brush with 2 tablespoons of olive. Season mushrooms with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to taste. Place mushrooms in oven and bake until cooked through; about 15 minutes. Remove baked mushrooms from oven and set aside.
- To make Tomato-Basil Sauce, in a small pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onions and 1 tablespoon garlic, and sauté for a few minutes until soft. Add Carmelina ‘e…San Marzano® Italian Whole Peeled Tomatoes in Puree. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and stir to combine. Bring tomato sauce to a simmer, and continue to cook for 15 minutes. Remove sauce from heat, and puree with a hand blender. Stir in basil, and set sauce aside.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots and remaining garlic, and sauté until soft and translucent; about 3 minutes. Add spinach, and 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Continue to cook until moisture has evaporated from the pan; about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove spinach from heat, and drain to remove any extra moisture. Let spinach cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add the Carmelina Brands® Italian Lentils, sautéed spinach, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix to combine. Spoon the filling evenly into each mushroom cavity. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 10 to 15 minutes, until mushrooms are heated through.
- Serve Mediterranean Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Tomato Basil Sauce. Mangia bene!
* Recipe created by Chef Giacomo Pagano on behalf of Mangia, Inc. ™
Copyright© 2017, Mangia, Inc.