Mom’s Turkey Meatballs & Spaghetti
Lean ground turkey
Extra virgin olive oil
Large white onion, minced
2, 28 oz. cans
Carmelina ‘e…San Marzano® Italian Organic Crushed Tomatoes in Puree
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs with the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, oregano and parsley. Mix well.
- Using your hands, roll turkey mixture into 1 to 2 inch diameter balls and set aside onto a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, so it coats the bottom of the pot. Add onions and sauté for about 2-3 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons salt and tomato paste, stirring and cooking until the tomato pastes begins to turn dark in color and stick to the base of the pan. Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add in 2, 28-ounce cans of Carmelina ‘e…San Marzano® Italian Organic Crushed Tomatoes in Puree, stirring to incorporate the fond that developed at the base of the pan. Add basil leaves, 1 teaspoon sugar, and stir.
- Carefully add meatballs to sauce, making sure they are almost entirely covered. Simmer over medium-low heat for 1 hour until meatballs are thoroughly cooked through. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large pot, cook spaghetti as directed, strain and reserve pasta water. Return cooked pasta to the pot, add 1 cup of pasta water, and 1 cup of sauce from the meatballs. Cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Plate pasta, and spoon sauce and meatballs over it. Garnish with Parmesan.
Recipe created by Peyton Pritikin (PritiEats) on behalf of Mangia, Inc. ™